Sunday, July 25, 2010

Many Miracles...

What a blessing it is to search and find our ancestors. I love the quote by President Thomas S. Monson (President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) when he said, "I testify that when we do all we can to accomplish the work that is before us, the Lord will make available to us the sacred key needed to unlock the treasure which we so much seek." Here is just one small example of how I have experienced that blessing.

Here is a picture that I took at the cemetery that I found by my house that is listed in a blog post below.

When I came home to process the images, this particular picture, I was unable to read the date at all and I could not make out the name very well either. I decided to go back to the cemetery and see if I could see it clearer. So with my kids in toe, I was armed with a bottle of water, flash light, bug spray, clipboard and was determined to find out more about this particular ancestor. Once I got to the cemetery, I tip-toed through the weeds and poison ivy and bent down to take a look at the tombstone. I could not read it at all other than the name Anna Nutt May. I tried spraying it with water, using the flash light to try and create a shadow and ran my fingers over the stone to see if I could feel the letters to no avail. I said another prayer and still couldn't see it so I moved on to the headstone right next to this one. I was able to read the next headstone and as I turned back to the first one, the writing became clear as day. The sun had shown just at the part that I couldn't read before and I could read it perfectly. Tears came to my eyes as I realized this was one of the small miracles that would and does happen as the Lord unlocks the treasures of our past and helps us accomplish the awesome responsibility to find and help our kindred dead.

No comments :

Post a Comment